Thursday, November 23, 2006

Part III - November 23rd

After a night like last night, a nice, run-of-the-mill day is what I need. First on the agenda is Death Note: The Last Name, a Japanese movie about a magical notebook that, if a name is written in it, that person will die of a heart attack. If you get the urge to watch something like this ask me for the links to the anime on Youtube. It is fantastic! Of course, I was not informed that this movie had no English subtitles! So, here I am in a theatre with my friend Kat, who understands Japanese, making up my own dialogue while still understanding the basic plot. It was a fantastic movie and it'll be even better once I get the dialogue translated or begin to understand more complex Japanese phrases.

After the movie I travelled to Sakuragicho, which is still my favourite place in Japan, to do some Christmas shopping. Once I finished making my purchases I watched a street performer juggle fire and wow the crowd. What amazes me is the level of fascination and sincere interest that the Japanese people have in anything and everything. The gasps of amazement from the crowd are some that I have never heard in Canada before. It was fantastic and very enriching to know that a population still enjoys the simpler things in life.

With the shopping completed I headed back home, changed and went to Harajuku for Thanksgiving dinner with a group of 9 other people. Andrew met me at Yokohama Station and we travelled to Harajuku, met the group and hit the restaurant. I must say that it is nice to have a good, wholesome Western-style dinner in the midst of such interesting foreign locations. This meal was one to be savoured: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and the most delicious chocolate cake this side of the Pacific Ocean. Unfortuatenly, Andrew ordered the cheesecake and only became aware of the peanut content after taking a bite and having his throat feel like a pin cushion. Aside from that, the night was extremely enjoyable!

So that is it for the updates. I will try to keep them more frequent in the future. But this should tide you all over for quite some time!

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm turkey! I am thinking of celebrating both the Canadian and the American Thanksgiving next year!!

~Jessica

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I want turkey now! Mmmmm! good to see you're enjoying yourself!

Rachel

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your adventures once again today. Donny... you are an excellent writer. I'm thinking you should have gone into journalism... I'll tell you one thing though.. you are going to be missed at Christmas. Aunty Val

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home