Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Visit Beautiful Yokohama!

To counterbalance my last post (hey, I never said this blog would be all wine and roses. It gets real sometimes!!) I thought I would write about the city that I am going to. I just found out today that I will be in a little city called Yokohama, Japan, Population: 3.5 million. Yokohama is a port city facing the west side of Tokyo Bay. Only 30 KMs from Tokyo, Yokohama is Japan's second-largest city. The rainy season is Sept. to Oct. (of course, right when I arrive) but the weather is extremely mild all through the year: the highest temperature recorded was 36.9 C while the lowest temperature was -2.5 C. The City Flower is the rose. The port of Yokohama is one of the most active ports in the world. Now that I've gone through all the touristy things about Yokohama, I might as well talk about my feelings on this location. Considering how close Tokyo is but yet still living in a city roughly the size of Toronto, I'm extremely happy I'm living where I am.

I also received the information on my roommates: one Australian, who is already there, and an American who is entering the house at the same time as me. That means it's a fight to the death for the big room!! But since the dude's an American, he'll probably shoot me and take it over (that's a sneaky jive at Larry! Take that you Texan!) The Aussie didn't move in until May so we're all going to be fairly new to the area. Hopefully we get along and make this year a great one. I don't want to drink and sing kareoke alone! That's just a pitiful sight: Don, hammered off sake, singing "One Is The Lonliest Number" to a bunch of Japanese businessman who are flicking raw fish in his general direction.

The apartment looks pretty sweet. There are three bedrooms (obviously): two Western-style rooms and one traditional Japanese room. The Japanese room is the biggest but the Western rooms are more familiar to all. Now, I have no idea which room the Australian guy took but if he's thinking the same way I'm thinking, he'd take one of the Western rooms and watch the two poor bastards moving in fight over the other Western room. It'll be interesting and I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, here's my address:

#112 Garden City Kanazawa Bunko
2-13-2 Kamariya Higashi
Kanazawa-Ku
Yokohama-Shi
Kanagawa-Ken
236-0042

Ku means Suburb, Shi means City, Ken means Prefecture. If you want to send me something, there you go! Now that I have an address things are starting to fall into place. And let the countdown begins: 3 weeks! 21 days! It's gonna be sweet!

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Nicole F said...

Why is no one commenting on your entries? Where are all your friends?


So I'm just saying that I am going to miss you and have fun, but I will talk to you before you leave and stuff. Think about me slaving away when you aren't busy hitting on easy japan girls.

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donny,
The Karaoke scene made me laugh out loud!! for a while...!!!
I want that to really happen, i want it to happen on video camera so that you can bring it home, and when you do i will laugh like a crazy until i wet my pants and continue laughing!!! I would die a happy person.
But i also hope your roomies are just as cool as you so you can all have fun karaoke parties where business men throw fish at you all.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home