Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Ties That Bind...

With a little over three weeks to go I headed down to Toronto to start tying up the loose ends of my Canadian life. Now, you ask anyone who's gone on to live in a foreign country for a long period of time and the last thing they tell you about was the process of saying their goodbyes to their family, friends and loved ones. Why? Cause it's the most bittersweet life can get. Sure, it's nice to see everyone but it's in that moment that you realize that this may be one of the last times you see these people for either a) a long period of time or b) ever. No-one tells you about this experience...until now. Consider yourself told! And I wish someone would've told me cause then I would've been prepared for both the action of tying up those loose ends and the emotional drain after it's all over.

I travelled down to Toronto to make my final trek through the South to see everyone I needed and wanted to see: Jessica, my old roommate and dear friend, Ruby, Michelle, Mark, Poonam, my crazy Friday night Scrabble partners, Melissa, concussed PB cookie baker, and of course Ainsley, the girlfriend away at her Ranch Cult. Luckily for me I got to see people that weren't even listed: Mikey P., the man with the coat that could make or break a bank account (I still need a picture of that bad boy). If I didn't get to see you, I apologize. I wish I could've seen everyone in one big party but unfortunately I'm not vain enough to throw myself a going-away party. Although, I bet the buffet would've been sweet! That's neither here nor there.

While most of these visits were extremely pleasant and well needed, there's always that one that just makes you a little disappointed cause it didn't go the way you wanted it to go. For me, that one was Ainsley. I'm not going to go into details but let's just say that if I were to do it all again, it would've been very different. And when you sit and realize that it's that memory that is the freshest one in your mind, it worries you to think "Will that be the one I take with me? Will that cancel all the good times?" As of right now, I don't even know if I can answer that one. I hope it doesn't but all it takes is one event to really affect you to the core.

It's those loose ends that'll really bug you (well, if you let it bug you, that is) when you are off jet-setting to your next new adventure. But it's a necessary part of this whole moving away for a year thing. Hell, the whole weekend could've been shit (luckily it wasn't) but you still have to go through it. Closure. That is the key.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Donald!!!
You made me feel like a celeb by mentioning me in your blog. BTW you are a fantastic writer, nice flow, pleasant read; even the boring parts:P But "that's neither here nor there."<-----aaahhhhahahaa I love that shit!
You are a great friend and I know you'll kick it old school in JAPin.
All the best,
Guess Who?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home